4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
in a bag, add 2 chopped onions, 2 tbsn sage, 1/2 cup olive oil, 3 garlic cloves, 2 tbsp worsteshire, pepper, squeeze both lemon halves into bag, then add into bag, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, add chicken, mix, marinate up to 8 hours, bake 35 minutes on 425 degrees.
Chicken -rub it with plain yogurt and then add bread crumbs and bake it. It comes out nice and moist with a little crunch on the outside
2 cloves garlic
60 ml lemon juice
2 ml salt
25 ml olive oil
250 g lamb, chicken or beef, cut into cubes
1 large green pepper, cut into squares
2 tomatoes, cut into cubes
1 large onion, cut into wedges
Crush garlic with the flat of a knife. In a small bowl, mash garlic and salt until it forms a paste. Add lemon juice and oil. Stir. Add lamb and marinate for 2 hours or overnight. Thread lamb onto skewers, alternating with pepper squares, tomato cubes, and onion wedges. Grill the kebabs, turning the skewers so that all sides are cooked.
• 3 kilograms Chick Peas
• 1/4 kilogram Garlic
• 1/2 kilogram Onion
• 1/4 kilogram Parsley
• 4 tablespoons Falafel Spice: (Cumin, Turmeric, Coriander, and Cayenne)
• 2 tablespoons Carboneh (baking soda)
• Salt to taste.
Soak the chick Peas in water for at least 8 hours. Grind the Chick Peas, Garlic, Onion and Parsely together, with a small amount of water, adding the falafel spices, carboneh, and salt. Leave set for at least one hour, then deep-fry in hot oil for about three-minutes, or until brown (note: the quantities listed are for restaurant quantities, adjust the ingredients accordingly).
This recipe is from the southern areas of Palestine. It is ideal for a barbecue but can be done on any other occasion.
• 3 red tomatoes
• 2 Zucchini (COURGETTE)
• 1 Onion
• 1 hot green pepper
• 3 garlic cloves
• Olive oil
• Salt to taste
Cut the Zucchini, hot green pepper, and onion into two pieces each. Place all the vegetables under the Grill (or on the barbecue) until fully grilled. Remove the skin of the tomatoes and mash all the ingredients including the garlic cloves. Add olive oil and salt to taste.
Optional: You can add sour yogurt or "Jameed" if you like yogurt based foods. This recipe can also be done using tomatoes only with hot green pepper and garlic.
A popular Palestinian salad prepared a lot during the fasting month, Ramadan. It is a very fresh spring salad
that combines many nutritious ingredients.
Ingredients (for 4 persons):
• 2 tomatoes
• 2 cucumbers
• 2 spring onions
• 1 Radish
• Green mint
• 1 loaf of pita bread
• Dressing: Lemon, salt, and olive oil
Cut the vegetables into small - medium size pieces. The lettuce, parsley and green mint should be cut in small
pieces. Cut the pita bread into squares of 1 square cm each and either fry them until golden brown or roast
them under the grill. Add the bread to the vegetable mixture. Add lemon, salt, and olive oil to taste.
A fully nutritious meal, Mjaddara is easy to make and very tasty.
Ingredients (for 4 persons)
• 2 cups of rice
• 1 cup of brown lentils
• One onion
• Vegetable oil
1. Clean the brown lentils and boil them in a pot until they are soft and edible (15 minutes on medium heat.)
2. Wash the rice and cover it in hot water and leave aside until the lentils are done.
3. Cut the onion in stripes and fry in vegetable oil until golden brown.
4. Drain the water from the lentils and from the rice as well. Place the rice on top of the lentils in the pot and mix. Add a teaspoon of vegetable oil, and mix the ingredients together over medium heat for two minutes. Add salt, pepper, cumin, and cardamom to taste. Cover with hot water (1 cm above the mixture). Let simmer on low heat until the water evaporates (about 15 - 20 minutes).
5. Turn over (like a cake) in a big plate, and cover the top with the fried onion stripes.
6. Serve with yogurt and green salad. Variation: half the onion stripes can be added tothe mixture before adding the water and letting itsimmer. The remaining onion stripes can be used for garnish.
PRETZELS [for kids]
Prep time: about 30 minutesIngredients:
• 1 tbsp. yeast
• 1/2 c. warm water
• 1 tsp. honey
• 1 1/3 c. flour
• 1 tsp. salt
• oven (You'll need help from your adult assistant.)
• small bowl
• mixing spoon
• medium-size bowl
• cutting board, sprinkled with flour
• baking sheet, sprayed with nonstick spray
• measuring cups and spoons
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius).
2. Put the yeast in a small bowl with the water and honey. Stir a little, then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
3. Mix the flour and salt together in a medium-size bowl.
4. After the 5 minutes is up, check on the yeast mixture. It should be bigger than before and a little bubbly. Add this mixture to the flour and salt mixture.
5. Stir everything together. Use a spoon to start. Finish with your hands. The dough is ready when it's still a little crumbly and flaky.
6. Put the dough on the cutting board and knead it like you are playing with clay. Knead it into one big ball.
7. Break off a piece of dough that's about the size of a big gumball or superball. Use your hands to roll it into a skinny snake.
8. Twist the snake into a medium-size pretzel shape, and put it on the cookie sheet. Do this with all the dough, making 12 pretzels.
9. Bake your pretzels for 10 minutes. Let them cool and take a bite!
Serving size: 1 pretzel
An extra special dsh which may take a little longer than the previous recipes!
Soak 2 cup fulls of pre fluffed American rice for 2 hrs
After the first hour of soaking begin with the chicken - heat a little bit of olive oil in a sauce pan, add diced onion and when soft add pre washed chicken pieces (on the bone- u can ask butcher to cut a medium chicken into 8 pieces) after 5 minutes of turning the chicken, add a stock cube, then boil kettle and cover all the chicken with water
that needs to cook for 45 minutes but every now and again you need to remove the 'scum' that builds up on top of the top of the water (its creamy white & thick)
whilst this is cooking dice; 2 medium carrots, 2 green peppers and rinse chick peas (it's easier to use them out of the can as they are softer)
in another sauce pan heat some more olive oil then add green peppers for 5 mins after that add carrots for 5 mins after this add chick peas and green peas. Give it a stir until carrots are a little soft.
After the 45 mins for the chicken to cook this is when you should be frying the veg (it's all about timing lol).
Turn chicken off heat
remove water from rice
add rice to pan with veg in
now season with salt pepper, 2 tbsp of tomato puree, and a tbsp of mild curry powder (it isn't spicy if that's what your thinking - i don't like hot things and this is fine for me)
Stir it all together.
Now with the chicken water from the other pan, use 2 cups (same amount of rice) of that and put it over the rice (you may need about 1/2 a cup more because of the amount of veg)
whilst uncovered put it on a high heat and keep stiring it. Cover it then put it on the lowest heat for about 15-20 mins.
Just before the rice is done heat some more olive oil in a frying pan then add each piece of chicken to it for about 5 mins until golden (you can get rid of the chicken stock now)
After 15-20 mins check that its cooked by just taking some from the top, if its still hard give it a few minutes, if right then stir it to get the bottom of it loose and in individual grains.
If this is for guests empty out all the rice on a serving dish and then place each piece on topof that.
Bowls of natural yogurt
Salad (diced tomato + cucumber with seasoning, lemon juice and olive oil)
when frying you don't have to use olive oil but i find it healthier and gives it a better taste - but it is expensive!