Friday, 6 August 2010

Boy vs Girl





Oh my word, our sister's gone and done it again mashallah!

I have just finished 'Boy vs Girl' by Na'ima B Robert.
I don't think I can put it into words on how great the book is, but I'm going to try!

So it has only recently been released and is available in bookshops or online. It's in paperback.
256 pages, with a glossary at the back (so is great for non Muslims or new Muslims to understand words such as 'iftaar', 'inshallah' etc)

I laughed in some parts and was almost in tears at others, in this fantastic tale of teenage Muslim twins - (one boy-Faraz and one girl Farhana) growing up in the UK.
It was so intriguing, I couldn't put it down. I read it in around 6 hours (spread over two days). A complete barrel full of emotions come along with it.

My favourite character has got to be Auntie Naj', if you are on twitter or facebook you'll know that already ;) Passionate, comical and caring.

The hijab is a protection Farhana, not an oppression. Your body, the beauty you've been blessed with, are your private property, not to be seen by just anyone. You're worth so much more than that

Everyone needs an Auntie Najma in their life!

It will relate to a lot of the Muslim youth growing up in the west definitely. It's very touching and cleverly written. It brings the teachings of Islam into the mix of things which the main two characters struggle with. As they battle against their parents mind frames who value culture over religion.
Also peer pressure plays a large part from both sides. The girls are interested in boys and trying hijab; to wear hijab or not to wear it, that is the question! Whereas the boys get caught up in gang wars and girls.

Additional topics which are covered are; love, revenge, Muslim youth, friendship, finding yourself... even making samosas!
I don't want to spoil it so I won't give too much away (even though it's taking all my will power!).

An absolute must have for any youth and I recommend it to all my friends who have got teenagers. Well, saying that I am 21 and I enjoyed it(!) and will continue to support sister Na'ima in her writing.
If you have been blessed enough to read "From My Sisters Lips" then you will know what i'm talking about (if not, don't think twice about reading it, go go!)

Ramadan is the backdrop to the story so I feel it would be a great gift to get at this time as I feel it relates to the reader very well.


Mashallah and thank you to our sister for bringing such great influential stories into our homes.
This was originally going to go up as a vlog on YouTube but since I have been feeling ill over the past week I knew I wouldn't be able to get my views across in a way that would do it justice.
For this I apologise and hope that this blog review will help and encourage you to go out and get your hands on a copy.

5/5 *****

3 comments :

  1. JazakAllahu khairan for your enthusiastic review! It's great that you found it insightful and relevant, masha Allah.
    I pray that benefit comes from it.
    Wasalaam
    Na'ima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEAR SISTER NA'IMA IS THERE A WEBSITE WHERE I CAN DOWNLOAD THIS BOOK FOR FREE

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of sister Na'ima, but I am not a teenager either. It's good to see Muslims write from an Islamic perspective, and help shape the views of young Muslims especially in the West, where they are inundated with negative messages.
    Wa Salam.

    ReplyDelete

~~La ilaha il Allah~~

Thank you for the comment. I love reading them all. I'm really sorry if I can't reply to everyone but I do try my best. Hope you understand. Peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...