Sunday, 13 February 2011

My Hijab Story

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful


This was written at the beginning of Jan when this tag was doing the rounds on youtube but since I schedule my posts, it published today.
Yes I had more than a month of posts prepared, go me! :D



1. How old were you when you started wearing the hijab?
16/17, i'm a revert alhamdulilah. I really should know the date, I wonder if I wrote it down somewhere...

2. What or who influenced you to become a hijabi?
Allah SWT. Once I was in a safe environment to wear hijab I did it to please Allah SWT alhamdulilah. I even begged my husband to wear it (contrary to popular belief). When I reverted I lived in a racist area and was brand new to islam so didn't wish to burden myself then rebel against it. Therefore I feel I did the right thing by wearing it once I had moved inshallah but only Allah knows best.

3. How has hijab changed your life?
Believe it or not it helped me to become more confident, as a person, a woman and someone who is happy with their own body image. Being a teen in the west with no religion can get pretty crazy! No rules on right or wrong, you get lost in it all trying to reach the standards of man or even rebelling against that and going deeper into the darkness of the unknown. Now I know who I am and what i'm about. I truely respect myself, don't get me wrong I was never one of those girls sleeping around or anything but even when i was wearing a bikini poolside (something the west are used to seeing) it was immodest and I was disrespecting myself. Alhamdulilah I found the right path and those sins will be forgiven.

4. What does hijab mean to you?
Hijab is not just about a headscarf or covering up it is a whole attitude, new outlook on life, way of dress and behaviour. It's one of the best types of shopping to do, may I add; so many different styles, sizes, colours, patterns but when people see you, you represent a Muslim woman, you represent Islam. If you live in the west you present yourself well, to teach people that our religion is not a bad thing. This should include your outer and inner self (no hijabis screamingin the street thank you). If anything when they see a Muslim woman they should be pleasantly surprised. It can also be a conversation starter. I feel that the more they know about it - the better. We can't sit back and let the corrupted media do their work. I mean, how many Muslimahs have had those 'silly' questions one hundred times over? You know what i'm talking about.

5. How do you deal with the rude comments/stares you get due to being a hijabi?
Well if they are not so rude, i'll speak back to them but in a much better tone than them. The rude comments, well 1) Make dua for them and 2) Check my video out, i think it gets the point across : )

6. What is your favorite thing about wearing the hijab?
I don't just have one thing. I love being free in it, I love obeying Allah SWT, I love that it shows I am a muslimah, I love the sisterhood (you can spot us for miles and you can say 'salam' to people who you don't even know but the hijab creates that bond), I love having cosy warm ears in winter, I love the hijab shopping (see above) and I love that I can hide a bad hair day when needed hehe.

7. What is your hijab must have tool?
Tube underscarves, I cannot wear hijab without them! Even if you can't see it, i'm definetely wearing one.

8. What advice could you give a newbie hijabi?
Wearing the hijab is between YOU & ALLAH SWT. YOU & ALLAH SWT. Nobody else. You will know when it feels right. Try it on around the house first to get the hang of it - mine slipped so many times with the transition from my first hijab to a square hijab. You can even try the two piece hijabs (my first hijab was an 'al-amirah' so don't think that they are just for kids!) When you are prepared to venture outside with your hijab, make dua beforehand and just nip to the shop -make the trip short and once you feel confident make the trip longer. This may not even be an issue for you inshallah. It will feel a little funny at first but you will get used to it (covered ears and the feeling of something around your head hehe). Don't wrap it too tight or go for the more exotic styles - just keep it simple as that will be stress free. You may get people looking but remember you are practicing Islam for Allah SWT and with every step/look you are gaining reward, what are they doing with themselves?? what better thing could you be doing by just walking down the street?? I think it's amazing, and such a great feeling when I wear hijab in public. Plus, these are strangers they are not apart of your life so why should they effect it? Keep your head up sister, and remember to "work it"! (hehe jk!)

9. What is one hijab trend you never understood?
Fully covered hijabi/niqabi except the feet... this kinda drives me crazy to be honest, I try and I try but some ladies are not prepared to listen (or at least give evidence to prove that I could be wrong here). I have been taught that it is fard to cover everything except the hands and face.
Why go to all that effort and then not cover the last 10% of your body? Is it not classed as your awarah? I just don't get it. Recently more and more people alter reliable texts to fit it to their size, but why? Do people think they can fool the One who created them? Do they class a good sandal higher priority than Allah?
If in doubt, remain devout.
I go into more detail about this here. I am a pro socks w/ shoes kinda gal myself :D

10. What do you think about the Hijabi community on YouTube?
I love them :D I met quite a few sisters through YT and mashallah they are great.
There are alot of tutorials out there now to help sisters although I will say that some sisters need to make sure that it (the tutorial) is actually following the correct hijab requirements. As 1) it can be misleading to others 2) if fellow sisters follow these styles in public, both parties will be judged for this. More so on the girl in the video promoting an imodest look. 3) it's a worldwide website, anyone can see you and even save the video so sisters need to make sure they are covered inshallah.
NOTE: This is just an FYI as I genuinely care about my sisters in Islam.

11. What question do you get asked due to wearing the hijab?
The video above covers some bizarre questions us hijabis get, but personally I get asked about what colour it is. A guy at work asked me and i just said "I'm not going to say but if i were, would there then be any point in me wearing this?" *holds hijab*
"it's just hair".

2 comments :

  1. salams sis!

    firstly allahmdulliah your muslim and im so happy that u decided to share your story here.I was brought up as a muslim and have islam all around me..anyway the point is that back when i was a bit rebellious i totally forgot how beautiful islam really was! Alhamdulliah now im married n blessed with a baby girl!

    SO sorry my comment was soo long!
    wslm ur sister Mya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mashallah!! :)
    Alhamdulilah you were guided back to islam.

    ReplyDelete

~~La ilaha il Allah~~

Thank you for the comment. I love reading them all. I'm really sorry if I can't reply to everyone but I do try my best. Hope you understand. Peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...