Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Daughters of Another path: Book Review


بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful



Daughters of Another path
Experiences of American women choosing Islam

Author: Carol L. Anway

I didn't buy this book, I borrowed it from the library. However I think I may purchase it to keep in my mini library and share it with my family who are what I like to call 'almost muslims' (inshallah khair) ;)

I had heard great reviews about this book. It was on my reading list for quite a while. I recently came across the website which my local library uses and where members can search and request for for books to be taken out. If this sounds technical, you should see how they issue them now! So i just popped the word "Islam" in to see what came up. To my horror there was alot of fowl titles which were tagged with 'islam'. However amidst all that I found 'Daughters of another Path'. I had to get it of course, even though I had (well, still do) a pile of unread books at home.

I am half way through and I just know I am going to enjoy the rest just like the beginning and middle. The information and snippets were gathered from a questionnaire filled out by many American reverts. Therefore will be familiar to alot of reverts and if not it's always good to see other people's point of view. Throughout the book it covers lots of topics about Islam, the thought process of the individual women along with the story of a relationship between mother and daughter as the back drop. The Mother in this is actually author Carol L Anway. Therefore this book will help non Muslims, just-about-to-revert-muslim's, and of course it is a great iman boost for the reverted Muslim (like myself) and i'd assume born Muslim too inshallah.

"The change was not a choice for me; it was going home. It gave me answers to questions I had and questions I didn't have. I love Islam. I love the concept of ummah" - page 31

It covers the basics, breaks them down with easy to understand explanations and really displays Islam in a great way, which is a breath of fresh air. I enjoy reading how people came to Islam so much. It is quite bizarre to know that we are all different, have a variety of up bringing and are yet drawn to this beautiful religion and way of life that is Islam. Subhanallah. It clearly shows that when Allah calls you to Islam, there is not one thing that is going to get in your way! Allah akbar.

I highly recommend this book.

3 comments :

  1. Asalaamu Alaikum

    I read this book years ago and lent it to my mother to read. She said that the women didn't even understand their own religion so therefore they didn't know what they were doing. Sigh. Glad to see this old title is still being read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AsSalaamu Alaikum,
    I remember reading this book a few years back. Also found it at the library. It is definitely refreshing for me to read revert stories, even though I was born into a Muslim family. Islam is such a gift to humanity if only more people realized it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You for your brief review. I just got to know about this book from an amazing lecture. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii4Hyofod8s&feature=related

    ReplyDelete

~~La ilaha il Allah~~

Thank you for the comment. I love reading them all. I'm really sorry if I can't reply to everyone but I do try my best. Hope you understand. Peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...