Wednesday, 8 February 2012

My Vogue Cover - Year I Was Born



بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful



Personally I find it interesting to know what was happening in my year of birth. It's strange how so many thing's have changed and how we can compare what life was like back then. You may have been on a website called 'whathappenedinmybirthyear.com' where you type in your birth year and you can read the highlight's which occured during that time. However, I did a little extra research.

Vogue Cover December 1988 with description:



Source: Vogue Archive
Compare that to a cover of today and they look like two different magazine's. The modesty level was far higher and check out the price compared to today! £2?!





Fisher Price's "Puffalump's" were the rage, and I still have mine!
It look's just like the one above, i'd take a photo but he's in storage :(





Sega Mega Drive
I remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog on my brother's a few year's later





1988 - Ericsson Hotline
"Pure 80s brilliance, everything from the neon orange details down to the font. With a weight of 4 kg this is exactly the type of phone that would have been used by executive types in the 80s."


Movies:

The top selling movie of my year was "Rain Man", a classic. Also, I only know this by shear fandom of the movie but "BIG" with Tom Hank's was also released then, another classic! Not forgetting "Dirty Dancing", triple YAY!
Other's included: Good Morning Vietnam, Coming to America, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Twins, The Accused, Die Hard and Fatal Attraction.

I was curious if i could find more random but appealing thing's for my year, 1988.

A good year for Music:

Bad Medicine - Bon Jovi
Hungry Eye's - Eric Carmen
Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
Heaven Is a Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle
Man In the Mirror - Michael Jackson
Where Do Broken Hearts Go - Whitney Houston
Desire - U2
The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson
Is This Love - Whitesnake
(I really like all of those song's too! Coincidence?!)

and the best...Sweet child o mine - Guns n Roses
(You're Welcome!)

and the worst...Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
(I'm sorry!)

The song which was #1 on the day I was born was Cliff Richard's "Mistletoe and Wine", gah! The joy's of being a "xmas baby" hey?


Random:

-It was the year of the Dragon for the Chinese
-1988 held both winter and summer olympic's
-Wimbeldon won the FA cup final, against Liverpool(!)
-The book which was top of the New York Time's best seller list was "The Sands of Time" by Sidney Sheldon
-Children's book "Matilda" written by Roald Dahl was published
-The first year people wore red noses to raise money for charity in UK.
-"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's" was a regular Saturday morning cartoon.
-Salman Rushdie published his Satanic Verses to much controversy
-Enzo Ferrari founder of the Italian automobile manufacturer Ferrari, dies at 90
-Celine Dion won the Eurovision for Switzerland
-Ronald Reagan was President
-Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister
-..and the Queen, was still the Queen!


So, what happened during the year you were born?

No comments :

Post a Comment

~~La ilaha il Allah~~

Thank you for the comment. I love reading them all. I'm really sorry if I can't reply to everyone but I do try my best. Hope you understand. Peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...