Saturday, 11 February 2012

Where was the strangest place you prayed?

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful



I wouldn't call them strange but the only other places which I have prayed at, other than my home, friends and families homes are a mosque in Amman, Jordan and above an Islamic bookshop in Rusholme, Manchester. When I was in Jordan, it was my first experience of performing salah in a masjid. It was a little odd at first as i'm used to praying alone or with my husband infront of me, so when the lines tightened I felt a little squashed. However i tried to put that out of my mind and focus as we were all there for one reason, to pray to Allah subhana wa ta'la. Such a wonder experience, especially when the "ameen" echoes in the sister's room. Mashallah.

The time in Rusholme was due to too much shopping! Subhanallah :) It was my first time stepping into any islamic shop so I was in awe. Lot's of book's just waiting to be read and below that floor they had racks or jilbabs and hijabs. "World of Islam" is the name of the shop on Wilmslow Rd. The shop where I bought my first abaya, jilbab and square scarf alhamdulilah. Although within the fun of it all, trying on different style's of jilbab's time was flying by and the gentleman informed us it was Asr and offered to let us pray in their office upstair's mashallah. It alway's brings a smile to my face when I remember this event. As a new revert it really did warm my heart. Very different to my life before, because there aren't many people who would let you in their office, but that's Muslim's for you, very giving. I remember trying to awkwardly have wudu, then realising there wasn't a towel (a few years later i read that its better to not use one as the wudu experience is more refreshing, maybe that was the reason?). So i had wet sleeve's and whilst moving into different position's of a rakat i was trying not to knock a stack of islamic children's game's over. It was quite funny thinking about it now. All i can say is that the owner's of the shop were very generous and pure. May Allah reward them and keep them in business with halal income for many year's to come, Ameen. Also, make sure you visit their shop when you are next in the area, it's like Aladdin's cave for Muslim's, or at least for me it was, hehe.


I haven't prayed on a beach, up a cliff or underwater but those were two very meaningful experience's to me. On a different trip to Manchester I saw a brother praying on the grass around the corner from Piccadily station. On his own. In Manchester! Subhanallah, such iman is what we all need to strive for. I would have been scared to do that as there are alot of 'character's' about, but mashallah he must have thought "it's time for salah. I'm praying!" :D

These are some reason's why I just love Islam!! Allah akbar.

Here is a video clip about Salah and when it's time to pray, beautiful thing's can happen.
Watch it until the end. ;)



Subhanallah.

Don't forget to share your experience of the 'strangest' or most meaningful place you have prayed in, in the comment's below, i'd love to hear them!!




4 comments :

  1. Salaam alaikum,
    I think some of the most interesting places I have prayed have been:
    The beach at Coney Island in New York, New York for maghrib. It was beautiful, subhan'Allah!
    A grassy area outside a shopping center on a warm, breezy Saturday afternoon under the shade of a tree.
    The back room at my former work place (Forever 21)...it was very crowded with all of the clothes and racks...I also prayed a couple times in the fitting rooms when they were relatively empty.
    Now that I'm in Morocco I just pray at home/my in-laws/at a mosque. I've gotten so boring :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullah :))
      I want to visit NY, NY so much, inshallah.
      Hehe, Morocco is not boring(!). I'd love to pray outside, the breeze must be amazing, i imagine it'd be a little bit more spiritual too...?

      Delete
  2. Asalaamu Alaikum

    I've prayed in a tent, on the beach and in a parking lot and in my backyard. Seeing people pray outside when I was a Christian was one of the things that finally pushed me to become Muslim. It was at Niagara Falls. Keep praying outside everyone, you never know who you are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullah :))

      wow mashallah, i never thought of it that way I guess. It's a shame how much the negativity can actually effect you. I'd love to try to pray outside though, and then like you say it show's how peaceful, committed, spiritual and inspiring we are/could be ^_^

      Delete

~~La ilaha il Allah~~

Thank you for the comment. I love reading them all. I'm really sorry if I can't reply to everyone but I do try my best. Hope you understand. Peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...