Thursday, 31 January 2013

Overnight Oatmeal - Apple & Greek Yogurt

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم 
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

 The past couple of weeks I have been enjoying such a delicious, clean, breakfast, alhamdulilah.
I've enjoyed it so much I thought i'd document it and share it with you all.
As you can probably tell by the title, it's called 'overnight oatmeal'. It was apparently very trendy over last summer but I have only just heard about it this month. I usually go for the trusty bowl of weetabix.(2 weetabix, skimmed cow's milk or almond milk, Honey, and 1 sliced banana)
If I was eating alone then that would do me. I usually stick to the same thing too, rarely changing cereal (if I do it's multi grain loop's as it's quicker than waiting for the milk to soak in as I can't stand crunchy weetabix), or on the odd occasion i'd have an egg (any which way).


I decided to make an Apple Overnight Oatmeal with Greek yogurt

2/3 cup milk (of your choice)
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 tbsp honey
Pinch of cinnamon & nutmeg
Dice 1 apple (leave the skin on!)
Sprinkle of slithered almonds




It's so easy, just give everything a good mix in a container which can be sealed. I used a clippy air tight food container, and it looks like the mason jars are very en vogue and handy to use for this too but aren't necessary  Prepare it before you go to sleep - mix, seal and refrigerate,  simply double the amount's if it's for two. 
In the morning you can open it up and eat it straight. Yes, you eat it cold, I was personally never a fan of cold oats but leaving it overnight in the fridge really helps the taste. The oat's will be lovely and creamy whilst still having the crunch of apple in there. 
The best thing is that it kept me full-content for 4+ hour's! Great for if you have a busy day ahead, just don't forget to prep it the night before! 
If you follow me on pinterest you may have seen a few option's which other blogger's had added and I repinned. One included date's, which I thought would be fantastic for suhoor during Ramadan, because it contains lots of nutrient's (which are key for everyday but in Ramadan even more so) and can delay a rumbling stomach as oats are complex carb's which slowly release energy to keep you going until iftar. You can add any fruit you like, whether fresh or dried so you enjoy a variety of tastes. This breakfast would be great for meal planning too!

The one and only rule of overnight oatmeal club: Don't forget to prep before you sleep!
Good job I still had some weetabix left.

 

2 comments:

  1. Salaams, Loved the post! MashAllah oats are really good for our bodies and this sounds extremely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wa alaikum salam. Alhamdulilah, they really are, i've been enjoying this with red and green grape's this week.
    Next week will be berries and banana, inshaAllah :)

    ReplyDelete

~~La ilaha il Allah~~

Thank you for the comment. I love reading them all. I'm really sorry if I can't reply to everyone but I do try my best. Hope you understand. Peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...