Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Techie Tuesday - How I remove YouTube ads

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

It's been a long time since I wrote a technology post but I knew I had to get this one out and share it with you all. I'm sure it will be of benefit considering YouTube is one of the most visited site's around the world, used to watch tutorial's, documentaries, lecture's, cat videos, music, or to catch up with your favourite people and the goings on in their lives. 

Whatever it is, i'm sure you have visited the odd few hundred times!

For so long i've been watching YouTube videos just wanting to get rid of those annoying, repetitive, time wasting advert's they put before the videos (and now afterwards! Who's going to watch those?!), which I understand helps partnered content maker's make extra money, on top of their £1 per 1,000 view's salary. 

I consider myself an oldie on YouTube and am one of the many who cringe at the way it's currently being run. It's far too commercial and it's usually the 'big' YouTuber's who get any say or spotlight these day's, whereas before it used to be a place for everyone. I mean they have even removed the trending list's/top  100 charts page so you cannot see what is emerging any more.

Some advert's can be skipped after a few second's and others you have to sit through the entire duration, there's no escaping them... or is there? I mean, come on Youtube, if we wanted to watch advert's we'd still be watching live TV! 

The following tip comes thanks to my younger brother. I was at my Mum's house last month and my Mum wanted to know how to sort her YouTube music playlist's out. We were talking and discussing different thing's and I mentioned that Spotify would be better to use because there are no lengthy ad's which interrupt the listening. Then she told me she doesn't get advert's on her account, then my brother piped up "I removed them for her.". Insert shocked look here!

How? why? when? HOW! Tell me now! 

Then he said it's just as simple as downloading an extension on Chrome (it's also available on other web browser's, but I use Chrome). This extension also block's webpage ad's too, which can only be a good thing as it quickens the page load! If for any reason you do need to disable this feature at any time, you can right click the icon which sit's with your other extension's in the top right corner of chrome, and disable/enable. 

So simple, quick, effective and FREE* 
(uh oh, scary asterix, don't worry there's no scary catch, just read on to step 7).




How to do it!

  1. Open a new tab and sign into your Chrome/Google account (if you're not already)
  2. Click "chrome web store"
  3. In the top left search box, type or copy & paste "AdBlock"
  4. Look for it under 'extensions', not 'apps' 
  5. Click 'add to chrome'
  6. Follow the straight forward prompt's to download it
  7. A page will open where you can donate/pay as much as you feel acceptable for the product, but you can choose £0 if you like!


And now for the best part....simply enjoy whatever it is you watch on YouTube, in peace!





I know, life changing stuff isn't it? :)

Just so you know, i'm not paid to say any of this stuff, it's just so fab that I think more people should know about it!





1 comment :

  1. Jazakallah for the excellent tip.
    Inshallah I will implement asap

    ReplyDelete

~~La ilaha il Allah~~

Thank you for the comment. I love reading them all. I'm really sorry if I can't reply to everyone but I do try my best. Hope you understand. Peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...