Sunday, 30 June 2013

Banana & Honey Almond Cupcakes {Recipe}

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Banana on the shelf. Why is there a banana on my kitchen shelf? Well, I wait for it to get extremely ripe and use it for baking sweet treat's, of course! If I leave it on the banana hook of the fruit bowl it will disappear in an instant!

When using banana's for baking the most ripe are best. This delicious, sweet, moist cake contains butter and sugar but is much healthier than your standard cake recipe as its packed with nutritent's. So if you are trying to eat clean then this is a little go between healthy and a cheat day! However, if you want to adapt it to be even healthier, i'm not going to stop you, just let me know how you do it!



Adapted from Once Upon A Chef here is my recipe for:

 Banana & honey Cupcakes w/ Honey Cinnamon Almonds

Serves: 12 (muffins) 18 (cupcakes)
I went the cupcake route (the original recipe was for muffin's) as it looked like alot of mix for 12 and was worried my muffin's would over grow, burn and be ruined as I didn't have a muffin pan. 18 cupcake's went round further, so i'm not complaining, more people got to enjoy my baked goodies, yay!

Ingredients:
¾ cup slithered almonds
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1½ cups Organic plain flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
113g butter, at room temperature (it asked for a 'stick' of butter, which converts to 113g)
⅔ cup granulated sugar
2 large free range eggs 
½ cup mashed bananas (you’ll need 1 large very ripe banana)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⅓ cup whole milk


Method:
Pre heat oven 177C / 350F / GM 4

Line a cupcake tin with paper liner's

In a small bowl, combine nuts with cinnamon and add the 1 tbsp of honey, mix, then leave to the side

In a mixing bowl add flour, salt and baking powder, mix well to ensure salt and BP are evenly distributed throughout the flour

In another larger mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. If you are hand mixing (like me) mix these two for a while, until they are just combined and then add the honey and mix. If you have an electric hand mixer, combine all 3, mix until fluffy and relish in the life of no arm ache!

Add the egg's one at a time and beat until fully incorporated between additions

Mix in the banana and vanilla, until blended

Now add the dry ingredients, in 2 batches alternating with the milk

Now, go on, take a sniff, I know you want to!



Spoon your mix into the liner's, I used a serving spoon with a teaspoon, an ice cream scoop also works well I hear


Sprinkle each one with the nut topping (if like me you only have one tray, remember to leave some nuts for that remaining mix for your next round, otherwise they will be a little naked on top)

Bake until golden and a tester poked into the middle comes out clean.
I have a fan oven and 20 minutes was more than enough, however the recipe does call for 30 minutes if using another oven, always watch out for those fan oven's!

Once they're done, place them on a cooling rack (or a spare oven shelf, which I took out before switching the oven on) and let cool...or you know, enjoy them when they're hot, like normal people!




Enjoy and let me know if you try them.
Sahtain!



4 comments :

  1. Hey!How are u?Do u want to be the best in blogspot?!
    Do u want to have many many fans in your blog?COME ON!
    We have many nomination for your blog :

    TOP 7 "cute " BLOG IN JUNE
    TOP 10 "I AM a MUSLIMAH " BLOG IN JUNE
    TOP 5 "THE BEST " BLOG IN JUNE
    TOP 7 "THE MANY FANS " BLOG IN JUNE
    TOP 7 "LOVE FOODS " BLOG IN JUNE
    Come on!GIVE ME YOUR BLOG AND WIN THE NOMINATION !

    go to the : http://zoommenow.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so good, I wonder if I can use frozen banana? I always freeze sliced banana when it's in danger of going too ripe for smoothies. I bet it would be ok when thawed. I'll try these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nomnomnom they look so yummie!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great. In shaa Allah will get round to making them :-)

    ReplyDelete

~~La ilaha il Allah~~

Thank you for the comment. I love reading them all. I'm really sorry if I can't reply to everyone but I do try my best. Hope you understand. Peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...